Author Archives: seeker

Tools and Rules

These are some basic principles I use to help sort through the various topics and suggested explanations. Using them can simplify discussions.

Posted in Science | Comments Off on Tools and Rules

The Fermi Paradox

The Fermi paradox is the observation that, although there are billions upon billions of stars, we have not discovered any evidence of intelligent life. The question is, “Why not?” Enrico Fermi

Posted in Science | Comments Off on The Fermi Paradox

The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Briefly, the Dunning-Kruger (DK) effect is the erroneous self-assessment of skill, knowledge, or other qualities in a field that is not the person’s area of expertise. This can be laymen grappling with an unfamiliar discipline, or experts who have strayed … Continue reading

Posted in Science | Comments Off on The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Conspiracy Theories

Bielefeld Conspiracy theories strike me as an attempt to hold on to a cherished idea when there is insufficient evidence to support it. Rather than consider that the idea is wrong, a person clings to it and invents reasons to … Continue reading

Posted in Obstacles | Comments Off on Conspiracy Theories

Cottingley Fairies

Before There Was Photoshop In 1917, two girls borrowed their father’s camera and took some photos in their back yard. When the photos were developed, they showed several fairies dancing and playing in the yard as the girls looked on. … Continue reading

Posted in Fraud | Comments Off on Cottingley Fairies

Cold Fusion

In 1989, chemists Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann reported that they had achieved cold fusion. “Cold fusion” refers to a type of nuclear reaction that takes place at temperatures far below the several million degrees that are usually required for … Continue reading

Posted in Fringe Science, Science, Scientific Controversies | Comments Off on Cold Fusion

The Sphinx

The Sphinx Until recently, the Sphinx wasn’t considered much of a mystery. There it sat, right by the Great Pyramid, a large but ordinary-looking sculpture located close to one of the most mysterious structures ever built. Sure, the Sphinx might … Continue reading

Posted in Ancient Mysteries | Comments Off on The Sphinx

UFOs And Auto Mechanics

I find it annoying when people accuse those who disagree with them of being stupid, crazy, afraid, or otherwise flawed. The assumption seems to be that no one could possibly disagree with them on rational grounds. This is arrogant bullshit.

Posted in Tools And Rules | Comments Off on UFOs And Auto Mechanics

Ten Percent

Over the years, I’ve been told over and over again that we only use 10% of our brains – and how wonderful it would be if we could learn to use the other 90%. Sometimes the numbers vary – down … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Ten Percent


Prosper-René Blondlot In 1895, German physicist Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen discovered X-rays while playing around in his laboratory. The discovery made enormous contributions to physics and other sciences. Röntgen received the first Nobel Prize for Physics his work. It also triggered … Continue reading

Posted in Fringe Science, Science | Comments Off on N-Rays